The 4:25 p.m. Pacific Northwest....

departing Chicago....heading west..come ride with us

Saturday, July 7, 2007

Finished, Finished and almost finished...

That Carol E. at http://giraffedreams.blogspot.com/ has leaped ahead of us we travel west with our load of orphans. This first lovely, is her current finish, just this past week. And she's still got a full head of steam going...*VBS* The second one with the great red borders(red is always GREAT!) is one that was finished awhile back and gone for donation to the Wrap A Smile foundation. Again, she was working with orphan blocks sent or given to her by other quilters. Keep that possibility in mind if you are really enjoying putting these creative tops together...your guild, or friends or even church group might have things to donate that you could work with. I love working with other peoples fabric and also their orphan blocks and parts.


The last picture, whether or not Blogger will put my words next to it, LOL, is the orphan top in progress. There were enough, just as Carolyn and Sue in W. Wa. found, to do another quilt top. I heard from Sue yesterday, and believe she said she has 2 more going. One will look co-ordinated, but is made from leftovers. And the other will be for a grandchild. I catch those for you, probably on Monday, as we have Macie at http://patchalotmore.blogspot.com/ for tomorrow's post. I also heard from Carolyn and she has
her first orphan block top on the quilting machine, and we will be seeing that one soon..*VBS*
I like what Carol E. has done with these particular orphans. It seems to balance, even tho the numbers are uneven. I believe she still has borders to add.
We seem to be doing very well as a project, or challenge, and finding readers and people interested in what we are doing. Keep your eyes open for quilts made of these type blocks. Most likely they will be older quilts, not unlike the quilts of Gee's Bend. Most often meant for warmth and comfort...strictly working type quilts, not for show nor for 'good'.
The ones that have surived the years of use, do appear in books dealing with the history of quilts. Trouble is, most were used to pieces and beyond. When I had the quilt shop, I used to buy and sell old and older quilts. Many of the utility type, tied with string, or rapidly quilted one direction passed through my hands. You wouldn't believe how little those old utility quilts sold for back then. Try $5 or less! I wonder what will become of the ones we are making now?

1 comment:

Carol E. said...

Finn, thanks for giving me a day in the spotlight! Fun! I was away for most of the weekend and had some nice quilty experiences. I'll have to write about it when I get unpacked and settled.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...