The 4:25 p.m. Pacific Northwest....

departing Chicago....heading west..come ride with us

Sunday, November 30, 2014

Where's the starting line...?

This is a top I patched together, thinking to "save" the leftovers. It was years before I built my "Orphan Train, heading West" quilt that spun off this blog. I could just say "I didn't know what I was doing", and leave it at that...but this top has a longer tale to tell. That story isn't the focus today, but leads me in. Over the years I've talking to a few of you about orphan quilts and making them. It's highly personal and there is NO direct pattern, nor do I think there should be. If someone writes a pattern or book, be warned. The directions may be accurate and wonderfully helpful, but you won't have YOUR orphan quilt at the end. Just another quilt that used up those leftover blocks. And I'm going to talk about that. I feel I need to put this out here. In the past I've tried many times to give you guidelines for YOUR orphan quilt. I think there are have been some smashing successes, and a lot of frustration. All I could do at that time was tell you about method, types of approach to sorting the blocks, possible generalities to follow. "Think in term of rows, horizontal for example. One row of one thing, another row of something else." Or"begin with a medallion, a larger specific group of blocks(or just one) in the center and build around it." "Let color lead you to finding harmony between orphans". All good information, but lacking. Sooo...having spent much time thinking about this, I'm going to tell you what I think it takes, on your part, to "make the grade", "climb the mountain" and "arrive on time". And I'm going to start today by asking you "why", why are you thinking about taking on this particular task? Almost any answer is right, if it's true for you. More tomorrow.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...