The 4:25 p.m. Pacific Northwest....

departing Chicago....heading west..come ride with us

Saturday, December 6, 2014

Hitching a ride...

Even on the Orphan Train, everything is not an orphan. The 5.5" fence rail blocks are a leader/ender project. It's boring. I have 52 done, do I want to go on, well...?
But I had a "lightbulb" moment while sewing...what if I alternate them with a "crumbs" block? My crumbs are usually 6.5",, but I could stop at 5.5" instead...right? I like this idea!
This last quilt I'm sharing regarding motive and/or intent that I spoke about last time. NO orphans in this quilt either. All of it was dis-card-able fabric. Guild end of the year party(early summer) was a luau that year. The host gals made fabric leis by tying dozens(hundreds?)of short fabric strips to jute. Obviously they were a throw away item after the party. I pondered that on the way home( traveling by tour bus from MN, I had 2 hours to think. I decided to gather up those that had been left on the bus floor. Maybe 5 or 6, don't remember for sure, but enough to share with my local stitching ladies. I handed them out and challenged the small group..."what can you make using just the fabrics in the lei, and ONE border fabric?" In one sentence I established my intent, and my motive... "don't take yourself so seriously". These are fabrics cleared from stashes as "dispensible". Mostly UGLY! Beyond motive and intent, curiosity contributes to the creation of orphan quilts. It becomes the "starter", like yeast. "Can I do it?" "I will make something that can be called a quilt" is your intent. And the motive, very similar to intent, proving something to yourself and others. Expect frustration to happen, it usually does. But also remember "humor". It will probably be there, and if not, it should be.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...