The 4:25 p.m. Pacific Northwest....

departing Chicago....heading west..come ride with us

Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Another Kind of Orphan....

This is the picture I got from Gypsyquilter yesterday. She wasn't sure I would want it, or consider it 'orphan', but told me it's story anyway. She had set off to clean old stuff out of the
basement. She found a big, old box labeled "tote bags" and opened it of our curiousity. I'm assuming it came with the house, since she wasn't familiar with it. In side were these pieces of fabric. Some were already joined into sections, but not enough to make a quilt. Maybe they had been going to be tote bags in some other 1960 or 1970's life. She felt compelled to finish it, and in the process needed to cut more rectangles.(Which we tend to forget we can use..rectangles).
I totally feel this is every bit as much an orphan quilt as if it were made from 'odd' blocks. It had been abandoned, unowned and unloved by anyone. It needed rescuing and finishing and found both in the loving hands of Gypsyquilter. I think she did a great job!!! It's really a great quilt, wish we could see the fabrics better. Thanks Gypsy, think about joining us in blogland! Hugs, Finn

3 comments:

dot said...

What a great find, a very lovely quilt.

Cher said...

certainly qualifies as an orphan, left behind and unwanted!

Anonymous said...

Ohhh Finn, I just discovered the misinterpretation. Sorry to confuse you. This indeed came from my box labeled "tote bags." I began cutting out the pieces about 5 years ago and cut waaay too many. This box has gone through about 4 moves. When I was cleaning, I found it again. Thus discovering all of those sections and I certainly did not want to make any tote bags (I lost count after 30 something).

Anyway, the quilt is in the process of being quilted and I'll send you a close up when it's done.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...