For me, working with orphan blocks is a slow process. It's not that difficult to fit them together, but having them located where they are happy takes some time. Today I puttered with things of a similar WIDTH.
I had left over sections from my "Railroad Crossing" quilt of last year. One pastel "Cracker" block(not sure if it will stay with the "Prairie Braid" or not). I had two 'wrong' blocks from a challenge(Shoo Fly) and lots more possibilities in the box.
And I had 3(yes 3)blocks that were intended to be a "chicken" quilt...way too putzy for my taste. Together they can make a statement for "chicken-dom". Long live chickens! Sticking a 4.5" left over square inbetween the railroad crossing sections made them go further. But what fun, I discovered later, to see that neat black print with baby chicks and eggs on it, next to a chicken. I may just go back and substitute ALL chick pieces between those sections...LOL I wanted to continue playing, but the laundry was calling and so were the dirty dishes. Maybe more tomorrow.*VBS*