The 4:25 p.m. Pacific Northwest....

departing Chicago....heading west..come ride with us

Monday, October 6, 2008

Three Cheers for Katie...!

Everyone on the Orphan Train is sending up a big cheer for Katie, in Michigan *VBS* Katie signed up for the Orphan Train Challenge a year ago when I first began this blog. I'm so very proud of each of you who have ventured into this new arena of working with orphan blocks and the bits and pieces of leftovers. It's actually MUCH harder(at the beginning)than making a new quilt from a book or pattern. Here is Katies's first orphan quilt and what she had to say about it!In Katie's words: "I have finished my first orphan quilt and the first of my New Year's Eve challenge quilts. I started with some abandoned pinwheel blocks and used scraps to make all kinds of others. I had never made a row quilt before so I guess that makes it another first. Three for one. Alright!"
And a closeup of the machine quilting she did. I've found one of the hardest parts of working with Orphan blocks is overcoming the idea that you could/can do it wrong. YOU CAN'T!! Each is going to be totally unique and original. Some aspect or another may not please you as much as other aspects, but that doesn't spell "wrong". Great Job Katie!!

4 comments:

jovaliquilts said...

This is such a fun quilt! Although I guess I have enjoyed all the orphan quilts you post. There's something very appealing about how mismatched the elements are and yet how well they work together.

Barbara C said...

I love the colors you chose. It's good to see another orphan get on the train!

Rosalyn Manesse said...

A really super quilt. And it even has a color scheme, blue, I think

Fuzzy White Dogs said...

Very nice! Since similar colors are used throughout the quilt I wouldn't have realized it was an orphan quilt if I'd just seen it out somewhere! That's how well put together it is!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...