The 4:25 p.m. Pacific Northwest....

departing Chicago....heading west..come ride with us

Friday, May 22, 2009

Frugal Friday Feature....

and excellent Orphan Train volunteer, Sue, of From the Magpie's Nest. Sue and I have been corresponding since before the Orphan Train began running *VBS* She's great fun to have as a friend and she makes wonderful quilts for many causes. Some premie quilts for a Neo-natal unit and some for foster children. Often Sue begins with the likes of these....the boxes, drawers and bins of unwanted and leftover blocks...the orphans.
 From them she creates wonderful useful things. Here we've got examples of her creative touch in placemats for a DGD, and a premie quilt...they are small in size. She also creates "units" or blocks to work into her designs, ala design wall.
 Often her blocks come from outside sources and she swiftly blends them into wonderful quilts in many sizes.
 I don't want you to think she just makes small quilts. Here are a couple of her earlier efforts. I know she labored longer and harder on these as seen in the number of orphan blocks used. And for you Gwen and Freddy fans, in their new book, Gwen has a couple of antique quilts near the end of the book. Take a good look at Sue's and then look at the ones in the book. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.
Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

Scrappy quilter said...

Wonderful quilter quilting for great causes. I love reading about quilters who are so willing to work on orphan train quilts. Love that you do this friend.

Bridget said...

I have been reading your other blog and just discovered this one! Thanks for such an interesting read/look about others' quilts.

Sharyn Craig has a couple books dealing with setting miscellaneous AKA Orphan Blocks, and yes I was immediately drawn to the quilt in this post that looked much like the antique one in the new Freddy/Gwen book.

Wow! Love it all! Bridget

Magpie Sue said...

Oh my, now I can hardly wait to see the new book by Gwen and Freddy! My SIL is taking one apart for me and putting the pages in sleeve protectors so I can actually read and enjoy it without getting sick. Woohoo!!!

You did a lovely job Finn. Thanks :- )

Tonya Ricucci said...

great quilts. I so love the mix of blocks.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...