The 4:25 p.m. Pacific Northwest....

departing Chicago....heading west..come ride with us

Thursday, June 11, 2009

New Orphans come to play in the Valley....

They rolled in from Texas last week, and a fine bunch they are *VBS* I've been getting acquainted with each one. The new orphans are from my good friend Julie, of Julie Q Quilts.
 I put these new orphans right to work. Sorting them by size and color, stacking some, joining up others.Sometimes, if they arrived already sewn into a row or block, I unsew them and use them differently *VBS* That is pretty much how I work with orphan blocks. Sometimes color is the deciding factor, sometimes it's the height of the block. A great asset to have close at hand, if you are joining up orphan blocks, is an assortment of scraps or precut strips. More often than not, a strip can/will be used as a space filler. That helps you achieve the desired width of the row. When the joined together blocks aren't quite equal to the size you want, you "fill in" with a spacer strip.Sometimes in between the blocks, sometimes at the ends of the row.
 And a treat Julie sent along for me *VBS* A Moda Scrap bag of assorted sized strips from their pink, reds and whites collections. I love it!! Thank you so very much Julie, you are way too good to me *VBS*!
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Scrappy quilter said...

Can't wait to see how it all turns out. I love these orphan train prejects.

jovaliquilts said...

You are going to have so much fun! Great orphan blocks, I love the Moda scrap bag.

julieQ said...

I sure hope the orphans can be of some use. They look so good when you put them together!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...