The 4:25 p.m. Pacific Northwest....

departing Chicago....heading west..come ride with us

Monday, June 25, 2007

My Oldest Orphan Blocks quilt....

The quilt, which belongs to my youngest DS isn't quite THIS faded. Not sure why I can't get the colors to brighten in Image Expert. If this quilt had a name, I've forgotten it. I made it in the mid 1980's, and it could have been called Desolation Canyon. We had moved to a new
community, new job for DH and the 4 kids off to a new school. I've been a stay at home mom all of my kids growing up years, and this was no exception. It's hard in a small village where everyone knows everyone and you know no one.
Plus I'm a fairly shy person which doesn't help.
I choose to 'lose' myself in my quilt making. Why I felt I needed to make THIS quilt, is anybody's guess. Probably started with that abandoned house block in the middle(red and yellow). Some left over 4 patches and a few HST's. Also not sure why I chose to go with the R,W,B, and yellow. I literally had to beg, borrow and steal fabrics to use. Some are re-cycled clothing from shirts or blouses. It's pretty obvious I did this row-by-row, not in sections. And then I hand quilted it!! With pigs, and scotties, heart, spider webs and fat little ducks. Almost any section you look at has something different. Talk about foolishness...LOL But it all took a long time, and that was a good thing. By the time I was done, I had met some people, joined a small quilt group and was doing better. It lived at my house long after the youngest son had outgrown it, moved away and married. Just recently it made a journey to his house, and is now on the bed of his son..*VBS* Who apparently loves it as much as his dad did. Makes my heart happy..*VBS*

4 comments:

flippytale Quilter (Christine) said...

I wonder if I could find as many orphan blocks! I never really thought about it. Can it be possible to accumulate that many? I must have them somewhere

Jeanne said...

Isn't it neatthat each quilt has its own story!

I love the picture of the Head Conductor!

Tonya Ricucci said...

Love this quilt. bet it would be truly marvelous to sleep under, looking at the surprises in the fabric and quilting. beautiful!

Magpie Sue said...

What a great quilt. The story behind it is priceless. And how wonderful that a grandson is now enjoying something his dad also enjoyed and was comforted by. That's the best kind of warm fuzzie!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...